Corona Virus in Nigeria: How to Prevent Coronavirus Plus the Hotlines to Call
The Federal Ministry of Health has come out to confirm its first case of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial city. The index case, a Nigerian-based Italian man who recently returned from Milan, Italy, on the 25th of February, 2020 has been isolated and is currently being treated at a hospital in Lagos.
This case was confirmed by the minister of health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire in a statement issued in the early hours of Friday, February 28,2020 at the Lagos Univerisity Teaching Hospital.
The Commissioner for Health in Lagos, Prof Akin Abayomi broke the news in a statement released early on Friday, saying: “The case, which was confirmed on the 27th of February 2020, is the first case to be reported in Nigeria since the outbreak in China in January 2020.
“The case is an Italian citizen who entered Nigeria on the 25th of February from Milan, Italy for a brief business visit. He fell ill on the 26th February and was transferred to Lagos State Biosecurity Facilities for isolation and testing. COVID-19 infection was confirmed by the Virology Laboratory of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, part of the Laboratory Network of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control. The patient is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos.
“The Government of Lagos State under the Governor as the COVID-19 Incident Commander, through the Lagos State Ministry of Health, has been strengthening measures to ensure that any outbreak in Lagos is controlled and contained quickly in collaboration with the multi-sectoral Coronavirus Preparedness Group, led by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC). We have immediately activated the State Emergency Operations Centre to respond to this case and implement firm control measures.
“I wish to assure all Lagosians and Nigerians that we have been strengthening our preparedness since the first confirmation of cases in China. We will use all the resources made available by the State and the Federal Government to respond to this case.
“We are working to identify all the contacts of the patient since he arrived in Nigeria. Please, be reminded that most people who become infected may experience only a mild illness and recover easily, but it can be more severe in others, particularly the elderly and persons with other underlying chronic illnesses. All Lagosians should take care of their health and maintain hand and respiratory hygiene to protect themselves and others, including their own families, following precautionary meaures”
Coronavirus, dubbed COVID-19, which has been spreading from China, its originating country to others, has now infected over 82,000 people and claimed over 2,700 lives.
The disease began late last year in Wuhan, China and is in now in 50 countries. This disease can survive on any surface, so long as the temperature is favorable.
Symptoms of the Corona Virus
The coronavirus mimics symptoms of the regular flu you are used to, so you might mistake it for that. However, it could come with shortness of breath as one of the symptoms.
Other symptoms of corona virus to look out for include:
- Fever and tiredness
- Runny nose
- Muscle pain
Some Important Facts about the Coronavirus (COVID-19) You Should Know
1.Coronavirus is highly contagious and spread through contact with the mouth and nose droplets of an infected person.
2.You can also contact the virus from contact with the faeces or blood of an infected person.
3.The coronavirus can survive on any surface for days, which is why the World Health Organization (WHO) recommend washing your hands several times a day.
4.While this disease is very contagious, 80% of it is very mild, requiring no medical intervention to clear.
5.Anyone is at risk of the coronavirus (COVID-19) and over 1,700 health workers have been infected by it with six dying from it.
6.It is estimated we touch our faces 15-23 times every hour, which is why ultimate hygiene should be practiced.
How to Prevent Coronavirus In Nigeria
Since the disease is highly contagious and fast-spreading, here are some measures put out by the World Health Organization (WHO) to prevent coronavirus.
1.Wash your hands regularly, from the elbow down with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
2.Alternatively, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60-95% alcohol.
URMAGIC Gel Hand Sanitizer,Disposable Hand Sanitizer Gel,50ml 75% Alcohol Hand Sanitizer Gel,No Clean Waterless Gel Sanitizer Quick-drying Portable Mini Hand Sanitizer Gel
- 1.24 Hour Defense Gel Sanitizer, Kills 99.99% Of Germs , Rich, Moisturizing Foam, Fragrance Free
- 2. Can effectively and quickly kill germs, fungi, cocci, and viruses, etc.,
- 3. Gentle and non-irritating, does not hurt the skin, has water-holding and moisturizing function
- 4. No washing, quick drying, easy to use, mild hand protection
- 5. Small size, easy to carry, Gel texture, you can easily control the amount
Hempz Triple Moisture Herbal Moisturizing Hand Sanitizer, 2.25 oz. - Scented Antibacterial Gel for Hands - Kills 99% of Germs, Grapefruit Fragranced Antiseptic with Skin Hydration
- TRIPLE MOISTURE: Concentrated with a triple moisture serum that helps to nourish and hydrate your skin while killing most germs on contact, leaving hands soft and clean. The all-in-one hand sanitizer is also considered a lotion.
- KILLS 99% OF GERMS: While eliminating germs within an instant, the hand sanitizer gel is perfect for all occasions. Whether you have children playing outside or you need a quick freshen up, this herbal disinfection is convenient and easy to use.
- COCONUT OIL ENRICHED: Improved and refined with top of the line ingredients such as coconut oil that contain fatty acids with strong medicinal properties that are known to moisturize on contact. Intended for daily use.
- 100% PURE AND NATURAL: Formulated with all-natural pure hemp seed oil, an ingredient that is intended to help improve itchiness and reduce dry, red skin. The hand sanitizer gel is enriched with healthy fats that are beneficial for your skin.
- FRAGRANCED: The 100% vegan, paraben-free, gluten-free, THC-free antibacterial hand gel is comprised of a subtle yet enchanting scent of grapefruit and sparkling peach. You can sanitize your hands and feel clean with our fragranced hand gel.
3.Clean all constantly touched surfaces and objects with alcohol or sanitizer..
4.Keep at least five feet between yourself and any one showing signs s of the disease.
5.If you feel sick or show any of the symptoms of the ongoing coronavirus, stay indoors. If you work, put a call through to your employer if you feel any of the symptoms coming.
6.Follow good respiratory hygiene and this includes covering your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze then dispose of the tissue in a dustbin immediately. Get those around you to also maintain good respiratory hygiene
7.Keep abreast of the latest updates and development of the coronavirus, so you know what to expect.
8.Watch out for anyone who might be sick around you and put a call through to any of these Lagos State Emergency hotlines if you suspect anyone around you might be sick: 08023169485, 08033565529, 08052817243.
9.Take fruits high in vitamin C as vitamin C is known to boost the immune system, which is needed to beat the novel coronavirus.
Tags: How to prevent coronavirus, coronavirus in Nigeria, corona virus symptoms